- Namita Purohit
- Life Stages
In this post we are going to discuss few scientifically proven tips which help in having a good rest.
1. Cave – Like darkness: The bedroom should be pitch-black, so you can’t even see your hand in front of your face, which means no bright lights, clock lights or any light coming in from the windows. why? When we sleep in total darkness, the human brain produces a hormone called melatonin. Melatonin is an important antioxidant which protects our DNA structure and prevents cancer. Tests prove that even a small amount of light hitting the skin almost immediately shuts off the production of melatonin. Therefore, scientists say, never turn on the light should you need to get up from sleep and go to the toilet.
2. Daily go outside and get natural sunlight: This helps regulate your biological clock and increases the production of melatonin, which promotes well-balanced sleeping patterns.
3. Daily exercise: At least thirty minutes a day will help improve the quality of your sleep.
4. Avoid bright lights: One should avoid keeping bright lights on inside the house before going to bed. At this time, bright light hitting the eye disrupts the bio-rhythm of the pineal gland and shuts off your melatonin production.
5. Hot shower before bed: This relaxes the body and helps you fall asleep quickly.
6. Sleep as early as possible: You should be in bed and asleep by 10 p. m.
7. Wear Socks to Bed if your feet are cold.
8. The bedroom should be free from electromagnetic field: Do not keep a TV, computer or any other electronic item in your bedroom because they create strong electromagnetic field which disrupts the quality of your sleep.
9. Fresh Air: Open the window at least a crack to get fresh air to circulate while sleeping.
10. Avoid fluids: Do not drink any fluids two hours before sleep.
11. Sleep Regulation: Get up and go to sleep at the same time everyday. If you are up late one night, still rise at your usual time and nap later in the day.
12. Daytime Nap: If one needs to take a nap in the day, it should not be longer than one hour for optimal rejuvenation, rest and repair. If you nap longer, it will disrupt the night-time sleep quality.
13. Avoid Noise: Because it disrupts sleep.
14. Hot Water Bottle: To relieve tension and anxiety, place a hot water bottle between the navel and the bottom of your ribcage.
15. Head Massage: To relax before sleeping.
16. Foot Rub: Rub ghee(clarified butter) or sesame oil on the bottom of your feet and promote restful sleep.
17. Read Scripture: Everyone knows that reading Srimad Bhagavatam or chanting Hare Krsna is a guaranteed method of instant sleep!!